The healthcare gamification market is set to derive maximum revenue via enterprise applications over 2017-2024; China is likely to push the regional demand.
The Healthcare Gamification Market has emerged as one of the most remunerative business spheres of recent times, given the rapidly increasing proliferation of smart technology in the healthcare space. The growing prevalence of chronic diseases across the globe has led to an increased demand for the indulgence of technology in medical care, which has subsequently resulted in the acceptance of gamified models across the healthcare system.
A paradigm shift has also been observed in the medical fraternity, from B2C models to outcome-based medicine, which could serve as an impactful driving force for the healthcare gamification industry. As an inherent vertical of the medical device spectrum, the healthcare gamification market size has observed a massive surge in recent times, registering a revenue of around 16 billion USD in 2016.
U.S. Healthcare Gamification Market size, By Game Type, 2013-2024 (USD Billion)
A concise glimpse into the developments underlining healthcare gamification market:
- Aetna Incorporation, one of the most prominent healthcare insurers, implemented the life game platform Mindbloom to help users understand the significance of healthy living.
- The U.S.-based pharma firm, Pfizer Incorporation, developed Hemocraft, a behavior changing application and an educational tool that helps kids understand the significance of abiding by their hemophilia treatment plan – all by means of a fun gaming atmosphere.
- In yet another breakthrough witnessed across healthcare gamification industry, Melon Health, in 2012, introduced a beta version of Goalpost, a social networking & gaming application designed to help people give up smoking. Reportedly, the app has generated massive awareness among the masses regarding the ill-effects of smoking, which led to 23% of 7000 Goalpost users in New Zealand abandon smoking after twelve weeks.
- Mango health has also developed a gaming application that rewards patients with points, every time they consume medicines post the reminder alerts.
- Reflexion Health makes use of a video feedback technology to rectify the physical movements of the patients by comparing it with the animated models.
- Recently, the healthcare gamification market witnessed a collaboration between O.C. Tanner and Virgin Pulse to build wellbeing solutions for employees and promote employee engagement activity. The wellbeing services have been designed to assist individuals to form healthy habits and bring about a transformation in their behavior.
- SimplyWell LLC, a key healthcare service provider, was recently acquired by a U.S. based workplace wellness technology firm, Viverae®, in a deal that was touted to mutually benefit both the firms. Through this agreement, SimplyWell’s consumers would be able to take advantage of Viverae’s core services, inclusive of gamified social challenges, iOS & Android mobile applications, and a scientifically proven behavior shifting tool. Viverae®, on the other hand, would expand its product portfolio through this deal and concentrate on enhancing its healthcare services, while simultaneously strengthening its stance in healthcare gamification market.
The healthcare gamification industry has been gaining remarkable traction across myriad geographies. Experts claim China to be one of the heaviest contributors of this domain, given that the region held a substantial share of the overall healthcare gamification market revenue in 2016. The rising adoption of the disease prevention approach rather than the disease curing one by healthcare professionals is expected to impel China’s healthcare gamification industry size. Furthermore, the region has observed a widespread deployment of smartphone applications to track physical activity in recent times. The healthcare space has also been adopting gamification models on a large scale, which would further impel the profitability landscape of the Chinese market.
South Africa is another region that is likely to emerge as a lucrative growth avenue for healthcare gamification market. The prevalence of chronic ailments such as Ebola and HIV across the country are certain to provide opportunities to healthcare IT companies to exploits the untapped potential of South Africa healthcare gamification industry.
Mango Health, Microsoft Corporation, Hubbub Health, and Ayogo Health are some of prominent companies that have firmly consolidated their presence in the competitive hierarchy of healthcare gamification market. These firms have been vigorously adopting growth strategies along the likes of contemporary product launches and extensive R&D funding. The unquestioned acceptance of novel technologies across the healthcare sector is certain to impel the healthcare gamification industry size in years, with a target revenue estimation exceeding 40 billion USD by 2024.
Healthcare Gamification Market, By Game Type
The casual games market includes easy and fun games that are played across platforms for therapy and monitoring. Serious games constitute of gaming applications used for education, training, and performance improvement.
Exercise games comprise of fitness and interactive physical motion games. Casual games will grow at a significant rate pertaining to increasing influence on patient behavior, particularly behavior surrounding adherence and cognitive health.
Healthcare Gamification Market, By Application
Disease prevention applications are projected to witness vigorous growth due to increase in number of players competing for fitness and encouraging the expansion of several apps that compare performances. Increasing use of gaming in the training of medical doctors will further increase the demand. Development of games that rewards individuals for sticking to medicine regimens will propel the industry share. Increasing awareness towards health and growing use of games for disease monitoring and brain health will encourage adoption.
Healthcare Gamification Market, By End-Use
Enterprise based segment held the major revenue share in 2016 due to increased awareness towards employee health and companies hosting walking competitions. Offering wrist worn activity trackers like Fitbits to employees will boost the enterprise based healthcare gamification market. Rising use of game scores as basis for contests on game trackers for fitness rewards, cash incentives driving competitive dieting in the workplace will boost the business share.
Healthcare Gamification Market, By Region
China’s healthcare gamification market accounted for substantial revenue share due to increasing shift from disease-curing to disease prevention approach and early diagnosis. Lack of skilled professionals, overcrowding and poor access to hospitals will drive their healthcare gamification market.
Japan’s healthcare gamification market will witness robust growth owing to mounting use of games to improve health behaviors and supporting the delivery of care. Moreover, growing fitness needs, increasing incidence of chronic diseases, infrastructure developments, and treatment advances should surge the regional revenue share.
South Africa is forecast to witness a robust growth pertaining to increasing need for healthcare services to meet the demand and reducing the high cost of services. Rising use of gamification for HIV and Ebola prevention will propel the industry growth.
Competitive Market Share
Some of the prominent industry players are Fitbit, Ayogo Health, Microsoft, Bunchball, Akili Interactive labs, EveryMove, Hubbub Health, JawBone, Mango Health, and Nike. The industry participants adopt various strategies such as investments, new product development and technological advancement to expand their market position and product portfolio. For instance, in March 2017, Mango Health, announced a strategic investment from Express Scripts, wherein clients have access to mobile apps by Mango Health, which allows users to track their habits, medications and boost medication adherence through raffles for rewards.
Healthcare Gamification Industry Background
Healthcare gamification industry is extremely competitive and has amplified sensitivity towards the introduction of new products for prevention and medical adherence. The industry participants are engaged in development of new games for brain. Technological development is aiding industry expansion. Middle East and African countries provide a profitable future opportunity owing to the shifting perception towards health awareness and growing mobile usage levels.